Bougival city of the arts
Bougival, city of Arts, is located on the bank's of the Seine to 9 miles to the west of Paris.
Bougival is a village that existed since the 10th century. The banks of the Seine have been inhabited since ancient times. The hamlet of Saint-Michel on the heights of Bougival bears witness to its medieval past.
In the 17th century, Louis XIV built the famous Machine de Marly in Bougival to convey water from the Seine into the gardens of Versailles.
In the 19th century, thanks to the commissioning of the first train line between Paris Saint Lazare and Saint-Germain en Laye. Bougival became a vacation spot for Parisians.
Artists settled in Bougival. Writers, musicians, painters came tfor a breath of fresh air to Bougival
Impressionist painters, Monet, Renoir, Sisley painted on the banks of the Seine.
Berthe Morisot spent her summers here between 1881 and 1884.
Ivan Tourgueniev, the Russian writer had a dacha built to be as close as possible to his muse, the famous opera singer Pauline Viardot.
All year round, daily.
Contact detailsBougival city of the arts